Thursday, November 11, 2010

Jessie J wants to 'Do It Like A Dude' - which is unfortunate, because most of the ones we know don't do it very well :(

Jessie J is a bit of an issue for us.  She's super good-looking and seems to have genuine talent (she co-wrote Miley's 'Party In The USA'), but she insists on putting out tuneless dated crap like 'Do It Like A Dude.'

This is the kind of unfortunate R&B style-over-substance unfortunateness that preceded, and arguably brought on, the pop renaissance, and certainly would have fit into the music landscape of the mid-2000's.

In a way us pop fans owe a debt to that time... it took the image-over-melody movement to its extreme, and drove the idea so far into the ground that it allowed pop, with all its hooks and earnestness, to come back with a vengeance. 

But now, in the 20-teens, a track like this seems hopelessly out of place.  The song itself is essentially non-existent, instead letting the beats and sound effects do all the heavy lifting - which is odd, as she is quite an accomplished songwriter ('PARTY IN THE USfreakinA', PEOPLE).  Indeed, if someone were to attempt to remake 'Do It' in a different, more straightforward style (say, a rock or country cover), they would be left with little more than a terrifying mess resembling a not-very-gifted-five-year-old's poem.

It irks us, dear readers.

It keeps us awake at night.

It leaves us shaking our fists at the sky and screaming "WHY WOULD A MERCIFUL GOD ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN" while the camera pans up through falling rain, VERY DRAMATIC music plays, and the image turns sepia because that is what is done when something is meant to be MOODY.

Having said all that, it is unfortunately for all these same reasons that it will inevitably be huge and inescapable for the next year, after which it will disappear entirely until being resurrected by the "This Is 2010" special edition of the NOW series - which will by that time be delivered, Matrix-style, directly into neck-mounted USB drives - on which the track will feature not because it is a brilliant song, but because the royalty payment is so cheap.

The whole debacle is made all the more sad because her other tunes are actually quite listenable, and despite the rather intimidating (read: ACTUALLY FRIGHTENING) video below, Jessie herself seems like a perfectly decent person.  We're sure we'll be hearing more of her in the future, but you'll forgive us if we wait til the next single to jump on the Jessie J bandwagon.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It worked you got my blood boiling your the first hater that I’ve let get to me. Congrats!! I have to say though I never took the time out to write to a hater because honestly you all have no life but to sit on your ass and just hate for no reason. She’s a human being she has feelings which you didn’t hurt but that’s not the point. What if I told you how much of a low life…etc you are and not even know you? You mostly wouldn’t care cause someone put you heart in a jar then smashed it. And yes it’s true at this time I don’t have a life and lowering myself to your level cause I’m reply to u dumb ass.
JESSIE J is well worth it!! (SMILE!)


I don’t know where u get the nerve to say JESSIE J is a issue for "us" I’ve been going thru a lot to deal with the pasted couple years and her music makes me feel like I can keep going. I don’t know JESSIE J I wish I did but I believe that’s what she is trying to do. Its about being yourself not being afraid….“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among a star…” (SMILE!)


I am a women who does it better then a "dude" believe it or not I honestly could give to sh!t’s I know it’s the truth. Most of all you guys only think about there self’s, money, and how to get to the next girl. To all you good hearted, honest men out there I’m rooting for you. Oh yeah! the only thing you’ve got right is she SUPER GOOD LOOKING J well she’s more but I’ll just leave it there. And it’s not "seems" but has remarkable genuine talent. (SMILE!)

I Love You JESSIE J, Keep making me/us SMILE !)

THE END (SMILE!)

Anonymous said...

Hey you, the guy who left the tl;dr comment.

I love it when people like you get worked up, so so funny. It's pop music, so just go chill in the corner with your "mandem".

Anonymous said...

FUCK YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!!! Jerkface!! You dont even know what real music is. I haven't seen you produce number one singles. And you have the right to say it's 'us' that agree with you?!?! FUCK OFF YOU HATER!! GET A REAL LIFE AND GET OFF YOUR FUCKING ASS!!

Anonymous said...

Who's laughing now? Jessie is all over the place plus she'll be the most memorable legend you ever had "the honor" to write a hate blogpost about.

now fuck of a bit and pls don't get depressed about your low self ...